What is libido?
Libido or sex drive is also known as a person's sexual activity or emotional or mental energy related to sex.
Causes of low libido in females:
There are several reasons for low sexual desire in women, which are based on a complex interaction of biological, psychological, and social factors that cause an unusual interest in a person's willingness for sex to fluctuate over different life stages. These changes may be due to hormonal imbalance, age, stress, or underlying diseases. Chronic illnesses and dysfunctions may lead to low libido in females. These may include.
- Increase blood sugar in females with diabetes can cause vascular or nerve damage resulting in decreased blood flow to the genitals. Also, women with diabetes may experience high levels of bladder infections, causing uncomfortable or painful sex.
- Females with joint pains or arthritis might find difficulty to participate in sexual activities.
- High blood pressure and heart diseases can reduce blood flow to the genitals resulting in decreased secretions and lubrication.
- Females undergoing chemotherapy due to cancer are more likely to experience low libido.
- Lower testosterone levels resulting from menopause cause thinning and dryness of the vagina, one of the various factors causing painful intercourse and low libido in females.
- Mental illnesses like stress, anxiety, depression may also contribute to low libido in women.
Emotional and social factors affecting low libido in women:
Hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD) or low libido in women is due to various emotional or social factors. Which may include.
- Mood disorders like depression, stress, anxiety
- Poor self-esteem
- Relationship problems
- Lack of trust and poor communication among partners
- Fears of negative outcomes
It is vitally important for women to seek a solution for their health issues, social or psychological problems contributing to low libido. There is a list of supplements used to promote sexual health and are referred to as libido enhancers.
Types of natural ingredients to boost your libido:
Libido enhancers may include following sex drive medications.
- Arginine tablets
- Kava tablets
- Maca tablets
- Tribulus Terrestris
- Arginine helps the body to produce nitric oxide, which aids in the relaxation of muscles and blood flow to the genitals, swelling of the clitoris, and entire pelvic area, making them more sensitive to touch and increasing sexual satisfaction.
- Kava is vital for relieving stress, anxiety, and related symptoms, which help women feel more sexual. Kava is also classified as a product that enhances the feeling of human connection and helps lower the body's defense mechanism. These feelings help women experience new things and to be more open towards intimacy and sexual desires.
- Maca roots are high in vitamins and nutrients and are used to improve hormonal imbalances related to menopause and increase sexual desires.
- Tribulus Terrestris helps in vaginal lubrication and increases orgasm.
- Gingko Biloba and Panax ginseng both are known to have anti-anxiety and anti-inflammatory properties, respectively. These natural products help in improving the immune system and assisting in the reduction of stress hormones.
Some foods used as libido enhancers:
Natural food products may also help in increasing sex drive in females. These foods are
- Red wine
- Honey Raw oysters
- Saw palmetto
These natural food sources are considered an aphrodisiac and are believed to boost libido and other female reproductive health concerns. Fluctuations in sexual desire are normal, but if it becomes an ongoing issue, it is advisable to consult a health care provider or sex therapist.